1. Ed Butterworth is recovering from pneumonia at home . He would appreciate getting cards and phone calls.
2. Ernie Jensen’s mother Susie passed away recently, and there will be a memorial service on May 10th at 4 PM at Church of the Good Shepherd. Please keep Ernie and Gail in your thoughts and prayers.
3. Denny Gearhardt is not doing too well, and would also enjoy your thoughts and cards. he is in a convalescent home.
4. David Vannasdall, the new Superintendant of Arcadia Schools was wearing a coat and tie – Joel was not.
1. The Installation Dinner will be held on Saturday, June 28th, at Santa Anita Park. The club will be dark on Friday, the 27th.
2. Rosie Mares is in charge of the new roster and asked all members to update their information. A copy of the current roster was circulated at the meeting . Please make any changes on the copy. The new roster is scheduled to be available in early May.
3. Bryan Earll, of the Monrovia Rotary Club announced their upcoming fund raiser at the Monrovia tennis club.
4. George Fasching announced the 27th Annual Rotary Salute to Seniors coming up tuesday May 13, 2014. Still need about 12 people to serve and set up. Around 10AM to 1 PM. Contact George if you can help.
5. Isylfie Taylor announced his Non-Profit Golf tournament to raise money for the kids to go to a Basketball Camp. The tournament will be May, 15, 2014. He’s been doing this for 14 years.
6. Ernie Jenson recognized May 15, to be a good day for golf tournaments, and announced the Rotary District Conference Golf Tournament to be on the same date at the Hilton Palm Springs, the day before the conference begins.
7. John Wilson announced the Boy Scouts fund raiser at the Santa Anita, “Kentucky Derby Day,” Saturday, May 3, 2014. There will be a live auction, drinks, etc.
8. Gene Calvert, our Fiji Rotarian, announced the ambitious goal of bringing certified virgen coconut oil to the market, therby making use of the potentially produceable, but unsold portion of the gourmet coconut oil from his home islands.
9. THE ROTARY INTERNATIONAL DISTRICT 5300 GEORGE R HENSEL ETHICS ESSAY CONTEST RESULTS: (All three of these winners were outstanding).
A) The winner: Luz Moreno for her splendid essay , ” A Single Decision Can Change Your Life.” How people’s definition of ethics can vary from person to person.
B) Camilla Leonard: “Ripples.” Ethics change by corruption of others. Every thought, word and action is a drop, causing a ripple accross the ocean.
C) Julia Kong, for her essay on Human Nature, Group Pressure and wanting to be included – effect on ones ethics.
10. STUDENTS OF THE MONTH:
A) Celeste Utly : Athelete of the Month, although with her grades she could be academic as well (3.95 GPA). Soccer, Track and Field and too many activities to mention. Going to UCSB to major in behavioral psychology.
B) John (“Jack”) Heer, Academic student of the month (4.0 GPA). Varsity Soccer,water polo, and many other sports. Plans on going to Duke, majoring in Biology.
C) Alana DeBlase: Performing Arts Student of the Month: Drama, planning on attending UCLA majoring in musical theatre.