1. Tracy R. Wilke of the San Gabriel Rotary Club announced that her club was hosting a Rotary Bowling for Fun Social to take place on May 31, 2015, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at Bowling Square Lane, 1020 S. Baldwin Ave., Arcadia, CA 91007.
2. Mike Real announced that he was circulating a suggestion sheet for next year’s social events.
3. Francine Chu (who was inducted last week as our newest member) received her Four Way Test plaque.
4. Bruce McCallum announced that on May 18, 2015 the Derby Restaurant is hosting a fund-raiser for the Special Olympics, with 20 % of the price of the meals going to the cause.
5. Daniel Yohannes announced the Arcadia High School Students of the Month.
a. Erik Zhad is one of two Performing Arts Students of the Month. Erik has a 3.98 GPA. His activities include the piano team, the speech and debate team (serving as captain), the constitution team, the math team (serving as treasurer), the swim team. Community activities include the City of Arcadia volunteer program. Hobbies include swimming (“Arcadia Riptides”) and piano. He plans to attend Georgetown University, majoring in economics.
b. Sameena Yayavaram is the other Performing Arts Student of the Month. Sameena has a 3.7 GPA. Her activities include the Harmonix Choir (as to which she was President), and the Hope Can Cure Cancer Club. She also works with Hindu Swayamsevak Sanju, a social and cultural organization. Sameena plans to attend Cal State Fullerton, majoring in computer science.
c. Laura Chun (who was represented by her father Ron Chun) is the Athletic Student of the Month. Laura has a 3.85 GPA. Her school activities include the Varsity Water Polo Team (as to which she was Captain), the Varsity Swim Team, the speech and debate teams, and Constitution team. Her recreation activities include reading Supreme Court cases. Community activities include the American Legion post, Veterans Voices, and the Temple City Homeless Coalition. She hopes to attend Occidental College, majoring in political science, with a future career as a lawyer.
6. Brent Forsee, Principal of Arcadia High School, announced the Arcadia High School Teachers of the Year.
a. Mrs. Cecilia Griego is a Special Education Teacher educating mostly disabled kids. She previously served as an RSP Math Teacher. In addition to classroom instruction, she has been an Instructional Aide Coordinator and Club Advisor to “My Friend and I.” She has an Education Specialist Credential and an M.A. in Education from Claremont Graduate University. She has also been received a Peter Lincoln Spencer Fellowship from that university for fostering literacy across the curriculum. She prides herself on seeing her students’ independence grow so that less intervention is needed on her part.
b. Mr. Rick England is a Grades 9-12 Music Teacher. He has taught 28 years in public schools, along with many years in colleges, theater, and opera companies, etc. This is his 47th year as a Professional Musician and Music Educator. He has a Master of Music and Bachelor of Music Performance (with honors) from the University of Redlands. He has received AUSD Profiles in Excellence awards twice (once at Dana, and once at AHS). His favorite classroom projects were collaboration with orchestra and dance programs at Arcadia High School. He is looking forward to retirement.