- Member Updates: Jim Ryder said that Howell Tyson is still at Methodist Hospital and possibly will be discharged in two weeks. Rosie Mares told us of the tragic loss of Eric and Melissa Rail’s house in the Santa Rosa fire. The Rails and their dog are fine, but now have to deal with the loss of their house. Our thoughts and prayers are with them in this difficult time.
- Oct. 18 will be the monthly board meeting, 6 PM at Mass Mutual.
- Oct. 23 is Monday Night Football at the Weavers. Please RSVP to the evite if you can come.
- Rosie Mares would like to get a count of those who plan to attend the 90 year celebration of the Arcadia Rotary Club on the evening of Oct. 27. If you haven’t returned your invitation, please contact Rosie.
- Brent Forsee introduced the students of the month. They were Justin B. Chen, Academics; Eryca Yamane, Athletics; and Dana Cho, Performing Arts. All are great students and, according to Brent, can get into any university that they desire.
10/06/2017: District Governor Social Gathering in Duarte, CA.
10/07/2017: 28th Annual PEACE Conference
10/13/2017: District Governor, Raghada Khoury will visit Arcadia Rotary
10/27/2017: Rotary Celebrates 90 Years!
Bob Harbicht announced the start of the Arcadia Community Center Memorial honoring all services of Veterans. Projected to finish and open on our around Memorial Day of 2018. More to come.
|(Mostly copied from Mimi’s previous Announcements)
2. Multi Club Gathering for District Governor October 6 at 5:30 at the Duarte SeniorCenter. All club members are urged to attend as we have 100 seats bought and paid for! Cuisine will be Mediterranean (cheese and spinach pies, kebabs, dolmas, baklava,etc)
3. 5K Run for Juvenile Diabetes will be October 29 at the Rose Bowl. Sign up and/or donate!
4. Veterans Memorial Design will be presented to the Arcadia City Council on October 3. Would love to have Rotarians there to support.
5. October 13- District Governor’s Visit at Arcadia Rotary. Be sure to attend and support your club for the annual DG’s visit. (Remember, we’re at the Doubletree)
6. October 27 – Arcadia Rotary 90th Anniversary
And the Question is? Last weeks Question was: “Where are the Headquarters of Rotary International?” Ashley Smith not only correctly answered, Evanston, Illinois, but gave the full address! Way to go, Ashley. This weeks question is: “What year was the four way test enacted?” Look it up in your Blue Book and be prepared to avoid a fine!
1. George Fasching is at home and doing much better.
2. There will be a board meeting on 9/20 from 6PM to 7PM at Francine Chui’s office.
3. Lopa Des Chowdhury got inducted. Congratulations Lopa and welcome!
4. Starting as of 9/29 meetings will be held at the Monrovia Doubletree Hotel while Embassy Suites are being renovated.
5. There will be a combined dinner on 10/6 for members of Arcadia, Monrovia, Sierra Madres and Duarte with the District Governor. Starts at 5:30Pm and will be held at the Duarte Community Center.
6. Matt Weaver will be hosting Monday Night Foot on 10/23.
7. The 28th annual District 5300 Peace Conference will be held at Huntington Library on 10/7 from 9AM to 1PM. The cost is $25 for preregistration or $35 at the door.
8. JDRF-LA Walk for diabetes is on 10/29 at the Rose Bowl. Gina Kim has set up Arcadia Rotary Team.
- John Murphy announced that George Fasching has been in the hospital and hopes to come home today. He could use some cheering up.
- Mike Hoey reported that Jeff Johnson’s brother, who worked for the government in Brussels, died suddenly from an aortic aneurysm. He was only 53 years of age. Prayers and thought are appreciated.
- Remember that the club will start meeting at the Monrovia Doubletree Hotel on 09/29/2017 while the meeting rooms at the Embassy Suite are being renovated.
- The 28th annual District 5300 Peace Conference will be held at the Huntington Library on Saturday 10/07/2017 from 9:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. The cost is $25 for per-registration or $35 at the door. It includes a continental breakfast.
- Monrovia Rotary Club will be hosting an “Aloha Luau & Casino” party on Saturday 09/23/2017. The cost is $50/ticket.
- There will be an Arcadia Rotary mixer on Wednesday 09/13/2017 from 4:30 P.M. to 6:30 P.M. at Mt. Lowe Brewing Company, 150 E. St. Joseph Street, Arcadia, CA.
- Aaron Rose said to mark on our calendar the Chinese Moon Festival on 11/30/2017. The cost is $10/person or $5 for seniors. Contact Aaron for further information.
- Arcadia Rotary Club’s annual Monday Night Football will be held on 10/23/2017 at Matt Weaver’s house. It will be the Philadelphia Eagles vs. the Washington Redskins. This is always a great event.
- The Arcadia Partner’s annual Christmas party will be held on Friday 12/01/2017 at Matt Weaver’s house.
- The District Governor’s visit will be on 10/06/2017. There will be a combined dinner for members of Arcadia, Monrovia, Sierra Madre and Duarte Rotary Clubs at 5:30 P.M. at the Duarte Community Center.
- Congratulations to Larry Callaham for getting his Blue Badge.
- Dirk Hudson announced that the 5-K run for Juvenile Diabetes will be at the Rose Bowl on 10/29/2017.
- Remember to read the High Gear each week to see what the question will be from the Rotary Handbook.
- SAVE THE DATE: Friday 10/27/2017 for Arcadia Rotary Club’s 90th Anniversary Celebration.
- During the remodeling of the Embassy Suites, Arcadia Rotary Club is moving its meeting location to the Monrovia Double Tree Hotel starting with the meeting on 09/29/2017,,
- Remember that Arcadia Rotary Club will be DARK next Friday 09/01/2017 for the Labor Day weekend.
- The 28th annual District Peace Conference will be held at the Huntington Library, 1151 Oxford Road, San Marino, CA. from 9:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. on Saturday, on 10/07/17. The cost is $25 for pre-registration or $35 at the door. It includes a continental breakfast.
- Rosie Mares announced that the Red Badgers will hold their 1st meeting at 5:30 P.M. on Monday 08/28/2017 at Villa Catrina Mexican Restaurant, 251 n. Santa Anita Avenue, Arcadia, CA 91006.
- The club meeting on 10/06/2017 will be a combined meeting of the Arcadia, Sierra Madre, Monrovia and Duarte Rotary Clubs.
- Congratulations to Bob Harbicht who was presented with his Paul Harris Fellow + 10 pin from Gil Stromsoe.
- Gil Stromsoe also announced that District 5300’s Rotary Dream Team will travel to India for Polio Plus. Over the years Arcadia Rotary club has contributed over $150,000 for Polio Plus which immunized over 1 million children against polio.
- Chamber President Karen MacNair announced that tickets are now on sale for the annual Taste of Arcadia to be held on 09/26/2017. The cost is $50/ticket ($40/ticket for club members). See Karen for tickets.