- Attend the Rotary Partners Christmas Party at the Jensens, Sunday, Dec. 3, 2017, at 3 PM. Bring the kids and grandkids (Santa may show up).
- We will be dark Friday, Dec. 22 and 29, 2017.
- See the Forces of Nature at the Arboretum! 100 Artists creating from exotic woods,including the storm-felled tree of the Adobe house. Opening Reception and Sale: Friday, Dec. 1, 6PM. $25. Show runs through Dec. 10, 2017.
- Mark your calendar: the club will be dark on Friday 11/24/2017 (day after Thanksgiving), Friday 12/22/2017 (the Friday before Christmas) and Friday 12/29/2017 (the Friday before New Year’s). A. We will be at the Doubletree on 11/10, B. Matt Denny’s on 11/17, C. Dark 11/24 D. 12/3 Christmas Party – bring the kids.
- Former President Rosie Mares presented President Tony Parille with an award from the District Governor for the Arcadia Rotary Club, “Making a Difference since October 27, 1927!!!”
- The Students of the Month from Arcadia High School were presented awards; A. Performing Arts: Graham Sanders- Pep Band music arranger, and Music mentor at Middle Schools. B. James Gassner: Athlete. Three year varsity, CIF standout, 3.9 GPA! C. Academics: Arianna Togelang – Mock Trial, Speech and Debate, and a GPA of 4.0.
- Firefighter of the Year: Chief Mike Lang presented Captain John Twitchell with the award, after a long list of reasons he deserved it
- Police Officer of the year: Chief Robert Guthrie extolled Jeffrey Elders’ many good deeds, before presenting the award to him.
- Remember the Festival of the Trees, coming at the Annandale Country Club Dec. 2, 2017.
|(Mostly copied from Mimi’s previous Announcements)
2. Multi Club Gathering for District Governor October 6 at 5:30 at the Duarte SeniorCenter. All club members are urged to attend as we have 100 seats bought and paid for! Cuisine will be Mediterranean (cheese and spinach pies, kebabs, dolmas, baklava,etc)
3. 5K Run for Juvenile Diabetes will be October 29 at the Rose Bowl. Sign up and/or donate!
4. Veterans Memorial Design will be presented to the Arcadia City Council on October 3. Would love to have Rotarians there to support.
5. October 13- District Governor’s Visit at Arcadia Rotary. Be sure to attend and support your club for the annual DG’s visit. (Remember, we’re at the Doubletree)
6. October 27 – Arcadia Rotary 90th Anniversary
And the Question is? Last weeks Question was: “Where are the Headquarters of Rotary International?” Ashley Smith not only correctly answered, Evanston, Illinois, but gave the full address! Way to go, Ashley. This weeks question is: “What year was the four way test enacted?” Look it up in your Blue Book and be prepared to avoid a fine!
- Howell Tyson, who was in Methodist Hospital has been moved to Rehab. He likes visitors, but give him a few days to acclimate first.
- The multi-Rotary Club get together, Rosie mentioned will be at the Sierra Madre Playhouse. Purchase your tickets at the Playhouse, $28 – there will be a menu, with lunch at noon, and the show at 2:30 PM.
- Immediate past District Governor, Lou De Silva, is not doing so well, and is back in the Hospital with a severe virus.
- Mt. Lowe Brewing Company, in Monrovia, is the location for our next Social Event arranged by our social director, Mike Ojeda. September 13, 2017, 4:30 – 5:30PM. A chance for some networking – sharing the services you can provide and learning those of others. Free, except for the beer.
- New Arcadia Rotary Directories are available. Pick one up at the back table.
- The Next Board of Directors’ meeting will be next Wednesday, August 16, 2017, at 6:00 PM.
- August 25, 2017 – our meeting will honor the Field of Honor Honorees.
- We will be DARK Labor Day Weekend, Friday, September 1, 2017.
- We will be meeting at a different location September 29, 2017. See you that day at the Doubletree in Monrovia.
- Dirk Hudson reported on the Annual Juvenile Diabetes Foundation Meeting that took place July 24-28, 2017, and announced the Annual Walk for a Cure which will take place at the Rosebowl October 29, 2017.
- Chris Haddow reported on the great turnout and success of his band’s first performance, and suggested we make reservations for their next performance at Matt Denny’s Saturday, August 5, 2017 . You can check Chris and Jeanette out on his facebook page. She is the lead singer of Route 66 Band.
- President Tony introduced and inducted our newest member, Rupak Das and his wife, sponsored by Francine Chiu and immediate past president, Rosie Mares. Rupak’s pursuits and background include energy, chemical and metal science, as well as metallurgical engineering . Welcome Rupak.
- Operation Gratitude: The Honor Flight of veterans, who were feted in Washington DC, is returning this Sunday, June 25, 2017, at 1:00 PM. Please consider joining the group of folks who will greet the returning veterans next to the Southwest Airlines Terminal in Ontario. It will be quite a moving experience. If you want to bring any gifts or mementos, the vets will appreciate. Try to be there by 12:30PM.
- Rotary Partners has a social for the start of the new Rotary Year. Come to the Arboretum Saturday 07/08/2017 to hear Grammy award winner Le Ann Rimes. Gates open at 5:00 p.m. and the concert begins at 6:30 p.m. The cost is $10/person for sitting on the lawn. Bring your blanket, chairs, food and beverage, and plan on having a great time with other Rotarians and friends.
- The Installation Banquet for incoming President Tony Parrille will be held on Friday 06/30/2017 at San Gabriel Country Club. We will be dark at the Embassy Suites on that date, and the following friday, July 7, 2017, due to the July 4th holiday.
- SAVE THE DATE: Friday 10/27/2017 for the club’s 90th anniversary celebration.
- Rotary Institute Training will be conducted by the District in Apple Valley, on July 31, 2017. Here you will learn info re: the District and International participation in Rotary.
- Interact Scholarships: July 31, 2017, is the deadline to apply. Students can win up to a $5,000 scholarship, as one of our very own Arcadia students did this year. Mike Real wants to start a dynasty!